Thursday, March 24, 2011

Highs and Lows


For some very odd reason, I have always liked Thursdays. Perhaps it's the final stretch of the week, one more sleep until sleep in territory, or that I was born on a Thursday. I dunno, but for some reason, I like them.


Today happened to be one of those days where I wasn't quite enjoying it. The past few days have left me tired both mentally and physically, and I am trying to get in the right mental game for my upcoming 30km road race, the Birch Bay 30km.


One of the challenges I have been dealing with, is dealing with friends. Bless Facebook, for the opportunity to connect with friends, keep up to date on happenings, and catch a glimpse of what other people face in a day. Through facebook, I have been keeping tabs on a couple of friends. Two in particular, as they both have been dealing with their own struggles. The first friend, K, is dealing with breast cancer. She just underwent another surgery to hopefully clear the last of the cancerous tumours and rid her of this horrible disease. K, like usual, has had the most amazing attitude. Nothing stops this woman from making the absolute most out of life, and it's pretty obvious that cancer isn't going to stop her. She's pretty darn incredible, and I have to say that I feel blessed that I know her as a wonderful friend. So I am rooting for her as she heals from surgery on Tuesday.


A second friend, Miss E, was someone from my running days. She has had a tough time in recent years, and is currently in a position where she is now homeless and struggles to deal with addiction. The only support it seems that I can offer, is messages of support and encouragement, and telling her not to give up.


When dealing with circumstances such as what my friends have endured, it really puts things into perspective. We all get "lifed", but it's how you deal with those issues, that make you who you are. Sometimes when you think that you can't fathom anything worse, the universe dishes another blow. But then, you turn a corner, and it changes completely. And it's pretty incredible to see how you can go from a deep valley, to a spectacular vista.


So through it all, be nice to yourself in those valleys, for the beautiful view at the top will be absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment