Thursday, March 31, 2011

Soaring with the Eagles



My usual Wednesday night routine means heading over to the North Van Running Room and running with the guys for a 10km hilly tempo. I started this routine shortly after we moved to North Van two years ago, as a way to keep up training, as well as get to know the NV neighbourhoods.




I should mention that the guys who I have been running, or more accurately, chasing, train with the Capilano Eagles running club. There are two guys, Dominic and Doug, who I have been running with, and I literally bust a lung every Wednesday trying to keep up with these two fifty-something guys, as they truck up the hills. Seriously, they have been good motivators.




Another point to make, is keeping up with these two has been a bit of mental game for me. I call it "chasing the white rabbit." Fear makes a great motivator, so running after Dominic (who always wears a white t-shirt or singlet), has kept me from getting lost as we run in circles on the North Shore. I attribute this to be the single reason why I have become a faster runner, I don't want to get lost.




I noticed the past two Wednesdays, that neither Dominic or Doug have been out, and the word is that they are both injured. Not good, since they are running the Big Sur marathon. Instead, I have been running with a newish addition named John. He's also a member of the Capilano Eagles, and as usual, puts my lungs and legs to the test.




What I found out last week, was this new guy John, was one of the North Shore dozen who went to the Boston marathon last year. So it was great both last week, as well as this week, to pepper him with questions about the race. Everything from how wide are the roads for the first 8km, to pacing for the course, and how to ensure to enjoy the whole experience. I am hoping that I will have more questions about Boston to ask next week, so by the time the plane lands in MA, I am rearing to go!




I was supposed to visit the chiropractor this evening before heading out to speedwork. I am one of those strange breeds who really enjoys going to the chiropractor. Call me crazy, but there is something about when things are back in alignment and pain-free, it's a bit addictive. Unfortunately, traffic was absolutely horrific absolutely everywhere, which meant I had to call and cancel my appointment. I really tried, but it just wasn't in the cards.




This left me a little deflated, as I could really have used a little work on the left hip. I ended up stalling a bit before heading out, as I could really tell the enthusiasm for speedwork was quickly fading. I decided to make it a fun run, just for the sake of getting myself out there. I decided, it was time to go east.




I created a route that took me towards Lynn Valley. The twist was to continue past Mountain highway, and then meet up with the Lynn Creek trail down to Marine. A completely new route for me, but it was awesome to run along the river and take in the beauty. North Van trails seriously rock. Continued on my path along Low Road, Esplanade and then up the hill to home. A good little 14km knocked off for the books. Sweet!




Speaking of books, here are some stats for my training for March:


242.96km


22:38 hours run


9:57 of those being long runs (over 20km minimum and 104km total)




Did I mention it's taper time?














No comments:

Post a Comment